Resigning from a job can be an exciting and scary prospect. If you are giving your employer a letter of resignation, you are telling the company that you will be leaving your current position in the very near future. There are a myriad of reasons you can be writing a resignation letter, ranging from a new job to relocating to a new city or state. No matter why you are leaving the company, there is a protocol to follow when writing a resignation letter, and there are websites that can help you craft an appropriate letter.
Things you need
Computer with Internet access
Computer word processing program
Search the Internet for samples of resignation letters. Resignation Letter and Quintessential Careers, two online companies, both offer several different sample letters with suggestions for wording.
Visit a website like OfficeArrow.com where you can download resignation letter templates. The templates on Office Arrow are available in Microsoft Word format and can be personalised by you.
Download a resignation letter template and open it on your computer.
Personalise the template, adding your supervisor's name and information about why you are leaving. Use the samples you looked at earlier for help with wording if you choose to add any sentences of your own.
Run a spell check and proofread your letter. You do not want to submit a resignation letter with errors.
Print the letter using your printer. Resignation letters do not need to be printed on heavyweight resume paper. Regular printer paper will work, but you should not use coloured or patterned paper.
Sign your name to your letter and place it in an envelope. Seal the envelope and hand deliver it to your supervisor.
- If you are leaving your position for negative reasons, find a way to put a positive spin on things. You do not want to burn bridges on your way out the door. Keep office gossip or your suggestions for making the company better to yourself.
Tips and Warnings
- If you are leaving your position for negative reasons, find a way to put a positive spin on things. You do not want to burn bridges on your way out the door.
- Keep office gossip or your suggestions for making the company better to yourself.
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access
- Computer word processing program
- Printer paper