Border collies are highly intelligent dogs of medium size with long black and white or brown fur. Often used as herding dogs on farms, these pooches have a lot of energy. Sometimes calming a border collie can be difficult. If your border collie seems to be constantly excited, steps should be taken to help it relax and calm down.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Collar and leash
- Chew toy (infused with treats)
Don't feed into your border collie's excitement by getting exasperated. This will only make the dog more excited. Remain calm and ignore the anxious behaviour. Do not try and pet the dog to calm it. Don't allow it to jump up on you, and don't interact with it for 10 minutes.
Take the dog out for a jog or playtime in the park for 30 minutes. Sometimes all your border collie needs is to use up some of that excitable energy through exercise.
Give your border collie a chew toy infused with a treat. This will keep the dog busy for a while and allow it to use up some energy.
Tips and warnings
- Keep your border collie on a good exercise routine so that it can use pent-up energy. Consider at least one long walk of 20 to 30 minutes each day. Allow the dog room to run and play, and interact with your dog by playing with a tug toy, petting the dog or teaching it tricks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for