If your company has multiple employees who require simultaneous access to QuickBooks, you can install QuickBooks on multiple computers for multiple users. According to Intuit, you may install a single-user license version of QuickBooks on a computer and on a portable device (a laptop, for example) only if there is one user for both devices. To install QuickBooks on additional computers for additional users, you must buy additional licenses. You can use up to five user licenses for QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Premier. Both versions come with one license. If you need more than five licenses, you must use QuickBooks Enterprise, which comes with 10 user licenses and allows up to 15 user licenses.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Insert the QuickBooks CD. The Intuit QuickBooks Installer will open automatically. If the dialogue box does not open, right-click the "Start" button on your desktop and select "Explore." Select the QuickBooks CD in the Folders list on the left side of the Explore window, and click "Setup.exe" to launch the Intuit QuickBooks Installer. If you downloaded QuickBooks from Intuit.com, double-click the downloaded installation file to launch the Intuit QuickBooks Installer. Click the "Next" button in the lower right corner of the Intuit QuickBooks Installer to go to the License Agreement.
Check the check box next to "I accept the terms of the license agreement" on the License Agreement page of the Intuit QuickBooks Installer, and click "Next" to go to the Choose Installation Type page.
Select "Express" on the Choose Installation Type page to receive recommendations from QuickBooks on installation options. Select "Custom and Network Options" to share QuickBooks across a network. Skip the next step if you selected "Custom and Network Options."
If you selected "Express" in the previous step, click "Next" to go to the License and Product Numbers page. Enter "License and Product Numbers." If you are installing from a CD, these numbers are on the yellow sticker that came with the CD. If you downloaded the installation from Intuit, these numbers are in the email Intuit sent you. Skip the next step.
If you selected "Custom and Network Options" in the previous step, click "Next" to go to the Custom and Network Options page. Read the available options, and click the appropriate radio button.
Click "Next" to go to the Upgrade or Change Installation Location page. Select the "Change the install location" radio button and click "Browse" to navigate to a different location if this is your preference. Click "Next" to go to the Ready to Install page.
Review your settings on the Ready to Install page for accuracy. Click "Install" to begin installation.
Check "Open QuickBooks" and "Help me get started" on the Congratulations! page. Click "Finish" to perform the checked actions and close the Intuit QuickBooks Installer.
Repeat these steps for each computer. You cannot install QuickBooks on a shared computer and use the program across multiple computers. You must install the software on each computer.
Tips and warnings
- Open QuickBooks and press the "F2" key to bring up the Product Information dialogue box to see how many user licenses you currently own. The information is in the top section of the dialogue box. Click "OK" when you are done.
- Call 877-683-3280 to add additional user licenses by phone. Agents are available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific Time. As of June 2011, each additional license costs £233.9.
- Open QuickBooks to add user licenses through QuickBooks. Click "Help" in the top menu, select "Manage My Licenses," and then select "Buy additional user licenses" to open the Buy Additional Licenses window. Complete your transaction following on-screen instructions.
- Multiple users can use QuickBooks simultaneously by switching QuickBooks to "multi-user mode." Click "File" in the top menu, and select "Switch to multi-user" mode.
- Adding QuickBooks to multiple computers for multiple users without purchasing additional licenses is illegal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- QuickBooks Support: Installing QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2011
- QuickBooks Support: Download QuickBooks Products
- QuickBooks Support: Add users to my QuickBooks License
- QuickBooks Support: How do I share my QuickBooks information with other users at my company?
- QuickBooks Support: License to Install QuickBooks on Second Computer