Adding video content to a Tumblr site creates an interactive component that is appealing to viewers. Tumblr provides a bridge between full-scale blogging and microblogging platforms, allowing users to create short posts with various types of content, such as videos, audio clips, music and images. Once the video is uploaded to a hosting site, such as YouTube or Vimeo, the actual embedding of the video into Tumblr is fairly simple.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Video uploaded to hosting site, such as YouTube or Vimeo
Find the video you wish to add to Tumblr and copy the embed code of the video. This will vary based on where the video is located on the Internet, but can usually be found near the player or within a "Share" menu. For example, if you're embedding a video from YouTube, select the "Share" button located directly beneath the video player. Select the "Embed" button that appears and adjust any preferences for the video specifications from the embed menu. Copy the HTML code that appears in the embed window and paste it into a text document to use in your Tumblr theme.
Log in to your Tumblr site to access your dashboard. The dashboard allows you to add content to your Tumblr site and customise the look of your theme.
Select the "Video" button located at the top of your dashboard above the column of blog entries from you and the people you follow.
Paste your copied video embed code into the window with the tab labelled "Embed a Video." This tab opens automatically once you activate the "Video" button on the dashboard.
Add any caption information to this window, such as a name and location of where the video was shot or why you felt compelled to share the video with your audience.
Select the "Preview" button at the bottom of the video post window to test the size and functionality of your video.
Press the "Create Post" button once you've confirmed the video plays properly on your Tumblr site.
Tips and warnings
- If videos are a dominant element in your Tumblr site's content structure, choose a Tumblr theme that displays videos in an appealing and prominent manner on your site.
- You may also want to create your own personalised video channel on a video hosting site, such as YouTube or Vimeo, to help gain additional exposure for your video work.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for