Avid's Pro Tools software is one of the most well-known recording platforms. Commercial studios use Pro Tools HD to record, edit and mix many popular records and movie soundtracks. Pro Tools LE 8 offers smaller project studios and home users most of the same features as the HD version without requiring a costly hardware set-up. Fortunately, installing Pro Tools LE on your system is relatively simple and straightforward.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pro Tools LE-compatible audio interface
- USB or FireWire cable
- Pro Tools LE 8 installation disc and registration card
Check that your audio interface, computer and operating system meet the minimum system requirements to run Pro Tools LE 8 (see Resources.)
Log in to a user account with full administrator privileges on your computer.
Insert the Pro Tools LE 8.0 installation disc and launch the installer program, which is "setup.exe" on a Windows-based machine or "Install Pro Tools LE.mpkg" on a Mac. Click "Continue" to begin the installation. If you agree to the terms of the license, click "I Agree."
Choose the components of Pro Tools you wish to install. You can either leave the default options selected to install a complete version of the software, or you can customise your installation by checking individual option boxes. At minimum, check the "Application Files" option to install the system files Pro Tools needs to operate.
Shut down your computer after the installation is complete. Connect your audio interface to the computer with the USB or FireWire cable. Restart your computer to complete the initial installation process.
Log in to your Avid Master Account on Avid's website (See Resources). If you don't have an account yet, you can create one using the same link.
Click "Activate & Download Your Product" under the "Avid Store & Downloads" menu in the "My Account" page. After the new page loads, click "Activate & Download Your Product" under the "Products" menu.
Enter the activation code from your Pro Tools 8.0 LE registration card. After submitting your registration code, click "Downloads" under the Pro Tools LE 8.0 menu followed by the Pro Tools updater link for either Mac or Windows, depending on your operating system.
Launch the Pro Tools software update installer that you downloaded, and click "Continue" to begin the installation. Read the software license terms, click "Continue" again and then click "I Agree" to proceed with the installation.
Choose the hard drive your Pro Tools LE installation is located on. Click "Continue" followed by "Install." The installer will update your Pro Tools LE installation with the latest drivers, bug fixes and feature improvements. When the installer finishes its process, reboot your system to complete the update.
Tips and warnings
- If you are upgrading from a previous version of Pro Tools LE, consider cloning your hard disk first. Sessions created in older versions may not play back identically on LE 8. Cloning allows you to swap hard disks to access an older version of the software.
- The first time you run Pro Tools 8 LE, it will ask for your Authorization Code, so have it handy.
- Pro Tools automatically checks for new firmware for your interface when starting up, prompting you when an update is available. If you agree to update, wait for the firmware to download and install, and then relaunch Pro Tools.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for