Swap Magic, a boot disc that allows users to play foreign or copied discs on the PlayStation 2, makes it easy to play PS2 games from a USB flash drive. Using a USB interface reduces strain on the PS2 laser and can extend the life of your console. In addition, you can store multiple PS2 games on one flash drive, which makes it more convenient to carry your games around with you.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- PlayStation 2
- USB flash drive with at least 10 GB of memory
- Swap Magic
- Slide Tool
Download USB Advance software. (See Resources.) Burn the included image file to a CD-R disc.
Remove the front cover of your PlayStation 2. You can pop the cover off with a flathead screwdriver. Turn on the PlayStation 2 and insert the Swap Magic boot disc DVD. Wait for the screen to show "Insert Disc."
Insert the Slide Tool under the disc tray. Place the Slide Tool on the left side and slide it gently to the right. This will slowly pull the tray out. Once the tool reaches the right side of the tray, you can pull it out all the way. Remove the slide tool.
Replace the Swap Magic Boot Disc with the CD-R disc you burnt in Step 1. Push the tray back into the console. Insert the Slide Tool under the tray on the left side again and slide it to the right.
Slide the tool all the way to the left and pull it out. This will seal the tray. Connect the USB hard drive that has your PS2 backup to the PS2. Within a few seconds, the game will show up on the screen. Highlight the game and press "X."
Tips and warnings
- To push the Slide Tool into the tray smoothly, you should leave a 2cm gap on the left side.
- Be careful not to force the Slide Tool. The Slide Tool will slide in easily. Use of the Slide Tool is not authorised by Sony, but retailers that sell the product say it should not violate your warranty because you are not tampering with the console. The slide tool simply tricks the PS2 into thinking the tray is not being opened. Swap Magic is a readable disc that does not leave any trace of its use in the machine once it is removed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for