Making a DIY wood craft for a gift is easier than you think. You can customise the gift to make it just right for that special someone on your list, and you will save significant money by creating it yourself. Take your time, and follow directions precisely to make a one-of-a-kind DIY wood craft gift.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Unfinished wood item (picture frame, small box, plaque, stool, etc.)
- fine sandpaper
- damp washcloth
- fabric or paper
Sand the edge of your wooden item using fine sandpaper.
Brush off excess wood dust with a damp washcloth.
Cut your fabric or paper to fit the surface of the item. An easy way to do this is by placing the fabric or paper on the surface, drawing a template and then using scissors to cut out the shape.
Shake the découpage to ensure consistent product quality.
Paint wooden surfaces with a thin layer of découpage.
Adhere paper or fabric to the painted surface, and press down firmly.
Paint another thin layer of découpage on top of the paper or fabric. Be sure to rub out any bubbles that form underneath the paper or fabric.
Allow time for the craft to dry thoroughly.
Repeat the process on each side of the wooden item until you are satisfied with the end result.
Tips and warnings
- You can personalise an item by hand writing any message or name on it with permanent marker or paint once the item has dried completely. You can also try printing a typed message on the paper before adhering it to the item.
- Be sure to let the item dry completely before gifting.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for