Raisins are a chewy, filling and nutritious snack. They are delicious eaten alone or in cereals or baked goods. They have approximately 130 calories per ¼ cup, 0 fat grams and 2 grams of fibre. Raisins are simply dried-out grapes; the process occurs naturally by drying them in the sun. It takes approximately 4½ pounds of grapes to equal a pound of raisins, according to the National Raisin Company. It takes about three weeks to make raisins when sun-drying grapes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Red or green seedless grapes ( 4½ pounds per pound of raisins)
- Baking tray or baking dish
- Cheesecloth or clean cotton pillow case
- Plastic container with an airtight lid
- Masking tape (optional)
Rinse the grapes well with water to clean them.
Remove the stems and discard any grapes that appear mouldy.
Lay the grapes out on a baking tray or baking dish in a single layer.
Cover the grapes well with a cheesecloth or clean, cotton pillow case. This prevents insects and dust from getting on the grapes.
Place the grapes on a patio table or someplace where they will receive lots of direct sunlight throughout the day.
Check on the grapes in a couple of weeks to see if they look like raisins. Taste one to see if it is dry enough according to your personal preference. The process may take as long as three weeks before they are perfect.
Remove the raisins from the dish once they are dried thoroughly. Store them in a plastic container with an airtight lid.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with different types of grapes to determine your favourite in making the raisins.
- Use masking tape to seal the cheesecloth or pillow case to the edge of the baking tray or baking dish. This ensures no insects come in contact with the raisins.
- Make banana, pear or apple chips by using the same method. Check the fruit every 5 or 6 days. The drying time depends on the water content in the fruit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for