Time to shatter misconceptions about glass textures in Photoshop. These shiny, sophisticated looking visuals are actually the result of a few commands and some tricky effects from the Photoshop "Filter" menu. Make your own glass images to use as stunning backgrounds or pattern overlays.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Adobe Photoshop software
Open Photoshop. Click "File" then "New." Set up a document in the size you need, or experiment with a 300 by 300 pixel size.
Click the small foreground box in the Toolbox on the left which will open the "Color Picker" dialogue box. Pick a light blue such as #6EDBDFF by inserting the number in the "#"slot. You can also use the slider, or click the colour you like. Select black for the background (#000000).
Click "Filter," "Render" and "Clouds" in the top Toolbar. Photoshop will automatically create a cloudy, marbled pattern.
Duplicate the cloud layer. In the top Toolbar click "Layer" and "Duplicate Layer."
Click "Filter," "Artistic" and "Plastic Wrap." In the dialogue box, use these settings: "Highlight Strength,"10; "Details," 5; "Smoothness," 3.
Click "Filter," "Distort" and "Glass." Use these settings: "Distortion," 10; "Smoothness," 3; "Texture," Tiny Lens; "Scaling," 80 per cent.
Duplicate the glass layer and right-click it. In the "Blending Options" dialogue box that opens, select "Screen" in the "Blend Mode" slot. You now have a shiny blue textured glass image.
Click "File," "Save as" and save your file as a PSD to retain the layers and also as a JPG for a smaller file.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to use this technique to make red textured glass instead of blue, try #EF678D as your foreground colour. Experiment with other colours as well.
- This technique can be used to create "gangsta bling" diamond lettering. See the tutorial at http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/diamonds/diamonds.htm.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for