You may have noticed that your new vinyl shower curtain or furniture has a very strong odour when first removed from its packaging. This odour is caused by off-gassing, which is when chemicals in the vinyl evaporate over time, according to Nature Neutral. Off-gassing can be both dangerous and irritating, as the smell is usually quite pungent. Fortunately, there are simple ways to get rid of the smell of new vinyl products.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Baking soda
- Warm water
Place the item outdoors on a dry, windy day to help dissipate the strong odour as much as possible. Leave the item outside for several hours. If you are attempting to remove the vinyl smell from the inside of your car, leave the windows open for several hours on a warm, windy day to air the car out.
Mix thoroughly 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 quart warm water.
Dampen a sponge in the baking soda solution and wipe down the vinyl product. The solution will clean the vinyl as well as deodorise.
Allow the vinyl product to air dry. If the item still smells, wipe it down again with the baking soda solution until the smell no longer remains.
Tips and warnings
- Vinyl shower curtains can be washed in a regular washing machine along with a few towels for cushion. Before the spin cycle runs, remove the shower curtain and hang it up to dry.
- Vinegar can also be used to deodorise. Dilute white distilled vinegar with warm water and wipe down the vinyl item several times. Let the item air dry. Repeat the process as necessary until the smell is completely removed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for