For vegans and the lactose intolerant, the tangy taste of cheese sauce is something that is hard to replace. Nutritional yeast is one of the most popular substitutes for cheese; it is non-dairy and non-soy, has a tangy flavour similar to that of cheese, and can be easily used to create a cheesy-style sauce.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Medium saucepan
Wash and chop one small bell pepper. Measure out the correct quantities of all of the spices you will need.
Add cashews, water, lemon juice, miso, bell pepper, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder and garlic powder to the blender. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth, making sure that the cashews have been mixed in completely.
Pour mixture into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down the heat to medium-low, stirring constantly to avoid clumping or burning. Cook until thickened.
Take off the heat and serve. Cheese sauce can be poured over pasta to create a macaroni-and-cheese-type dish, or set out with chips and eaten as a dip.
Tips and warnings
- You can buy nutritional yeast at most health food stores, as well as online.
- Add crushed red peppers to the sauce at the end to create a spicy fake nacho cheese.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for