The airline industry is notorious for charging high baggage fees. In 2010, Delta Air Lines took in £158 million per quarter in baggage fees alone. American Airlines and US Airways collected £92 million and £83 million, respectively. These three airlines charge passengers £39 to transport two bags domestically. That is a lot of money to shell out, but fortunately, travellers have other options. UPS and other freight companies now offer luggage shipment directly to your destination. They have a variety of shipping options for your baggage that can save you time and money. For example, to ship 18.1 Kilogram of ski gear from Dallas to Denver is just £19 each way. That is a £39 savings over airlines' round-trip fee. The good news is that you pay only for the weight you ship, not the number of bags.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Suitcase or UPS Luggage Box
Call your destination to verify that shipments can be received there. Confirm the correct shipping address.
Pack your suitcase or your UPS luggage box as you normally would. If you are using the UPS luggage box, reinforce the seams with packing tape.
Take your suitcase or luggage box to the nearest UPS Store. Purchase the shipping label and, if desired, the return label.
Shipping Your Luggage to Your Destination
Remove all previous shipping labels from the luggage box or suitcase.
Repack the suitcase or luggage box. If using the box, remove excess packing tape, and tape all seams again for reinforcement.
Place the return label on the front of the suitcase or luggage box.
Drop off the luggage at a designated UPS pickup spot at your hotel or another location. Verify the pickup time with the hotel upon checkout.
Shipping Your Luggage on a Return Trip
Tips and warnings
- The luggage box or suitcase will receive a tracking number like any other UPS package. You can track your baggage on the Internet or using the UPS smart phone app.
- UPS has a Pack & Ship Promise guaranteeing your luggage's arrival, and reimbursement if the luggage does not arrive. However, this agreement is only for luggage or packages packed by UPS personnel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for