Activated charcoal is a fine black powder that absorbs chemicals and odours. This is why the coal is sometimes used to absorb poisons in the stomach after they are accidentally ingested. Activated charcoal can come in powder form or in can be compressed into block form. Use either form to absorb odours in your home caused by smoke, mould or sewage. Do not confuse activated charcoal with charcoal briquettes used for barbecuing.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Place activated charcoal in a shallow bowl.
Place the bowl in the centre of the room.
Let it sit there for several days until the smell is removed from the room.
Removing Smells in a Room
Sprinkle the activated charcoal directly over the hard surface.
Let it sit there for several hours.
Sweep up the activated charcoal.
Repeat the process with fresh charcoal if the smell is still noticeable.
Removing Surface Smells
Tips and warnings
- Store activated charcoal in a dry and cool place.
- Activated charcoal is also capable of absorbing and neutralising poisons in your body. Contact a medical or holistic professional before ingesting it.
- Purchase activated charcoal at home improvement or aquarium supply stores.
- Keep activated charcoal away from children as it may cause diarrhoea if ingested.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for