Almond milk is extracted from the flesh of ground almonds, and is a healthy alternative to cow's milk. This milk has a mild, nutty flavour and provides the same nutritive value as raw almonds. Almond milk is an ideal choice for vegans and lactose-intolerant individuals. Since almond milk has a subtle flavour and a texture similar to that of cow's milk, you can easily substitute unsweetened almond milk for cow's milk as part of your daily cooking and baking needs.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Prepare almond milk at home or purchase it commercially and drink a glassful, instead of dairy milk. If you prefer a hint of sweetness, add a 1/2 tsp of sugar to the milk, stir and drink. Or, soak 3 dates for an hour in the milk and drink.
Replace dairy milk with an equal quantity of unsweetened almond milk in your cup of tea, coffee, hot cocoa and hot or cold cereal bowl.
Prepare a refreshing almond-fruit smoothie. Combine a 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk with 1 cup of diced fresh or frozen fruits such as raspberries, banana, papaya and peaches in a blender. Add 1 tsp of honey and serve once the mixture attains a creamy consistency.
Substitute almond milk for cow's milk in soups, sauces, custards and pudding recipes that require cow's milk. However, when adding almond milk to such bulk foods, proportionately increase the quantity of the thickening agent such as cornstarch or flour, by around 2 tbsp.
Create a delicious almond-flavoured chocolate pudding. Gently stir and mix together a 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of cornstarch, a 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa and a 1/4 tsp of salt in a pot, and place on low heat. Add unsweetened almond milk once the mixture starts boiling, and stir continuously until it thickens. Remove the pot from the heat, then add 1 tsp of almond extract and 3 tbsp of butter to the mixture, stir and cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve chilled.
Tips and warnings
- When cooking with almond milk, ensure that you cook on medium heat and stir constantly. Almond milk, like dairy milk, has a tendency to burn when cooked at high temperatures.
- Avoid using almond milk in recipes that require you to add acidic foods such as limes and sun-dried tomatoes. The acid in these foods can cause the almond milk to curdle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for