FireWire connections are commonly used on Apple computers, video recorders, cameras and other devices. The FireWire port is not a standard port on non-Apple computers, so if you have a Windows PC, you'll need to either install a FireWire adaptor card or use a FireWire-to-USB adaptor cable to connect FireWire-enabled devices. Not all FireWire devices work with the adaptor cable and you may need to install a specific driver to use the device. Some devices have proprietary adaptor cables that must be used.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- FireWire-to-USB adaptor cable
Insert the FireWire connector on the adaptor cable into the device you want to interface to a USB port.
Connect the USB plug on the adaptor to an available USB port on your computer.
Download and install any drivers or other software required to make your FireWire device work over a USB connection. The adaptor cable may come with a CD that contains the necessary software.
Click "Start" and "Computer." Double-click on the FireWire device to access it.
Tips and warnings
- FireWire data transfers are much faster than with USB, so you may encounter a speed loss during transfers when using an adaptor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for