Mounting deer antlers is a cost-effective alternative to a head or full-body mount. Mounting the antlers requires basic tools and can be completed by a single person. The finished product allows you to display your trophy for a fraction of the cost of professional taxidermy. Hunters will often choose to do an antler mount for average deer that do not meet the trophy standards. The mount looks professional without advanced skills and it hangs on the wall like a picture.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Oak plate
- Picture wall mounting kit
- 1/32-inch bit
Use a hacksaw to cut the skull plate away from the remainder of the skull. The skull plate is the section of skull that connects the two antlers. The plate will be used to mount the antlers.
Use a jigsaw to cut a 10-inch-by-10-inch-square piece of oak. You may also buy a pre-cut plaque if desired. Use a cloth rag to apply wood stain to the plaque and allow the stain to dry for one full day.
Attach a picture hanger to the back of the plaque. Center and level the hanger on the top of the plaque and use a drill to install the screws. The hanger will allow you to set the plaque on a nail in your wall.
Drill two holes through the skull plate with a 1/32-inch bit. Center the holes between the two antlers and hold the skull against the plaque. Use the bit to drill two shallow holes into the plaque. The holes in the plaque must be aligned with the holes in the skull.
Measure a screw against the skull plate and the plaque to find the correct size. The size of the screw will vary depending on the size of the skull plate. Drill the screw into the plaque to connect the antlers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to hold the antler against the plaque, as excessive pressure will crack the skull.
Tips and warnings
- Cover the skull with leather or hide from the deer to create a clean finish. Glue the hide over the skull with the hair intact to add texture to the mount.
- Do not overtighten the screws or the skull will crack or break. The antlers are extremely difficult to mount without the skull intact.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for