In some areas, the name Black and Decker has become synonymous with tools and machines. Beginning in 1910, the company has produced hand tools, garden accessories and more to help the everyday handyman. Black and Decker produces a number of weed eaters, also called string trimmers, to help control grass and weeds in hard to reach spots around the yard. Each trimmer works with string, and over time the string will become worn down and need to be replaced.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Black and Decker replacement trimmer line
Unplug your string trimmer so that you cannot accidentally activate the trimmer while you work. If you are working with a cordless trimmer, be sure that the machine is completely deactivated before starting.
Depress the tabs on the line hub cover, which covers the spool for the string. This will release the cover. Pull the cover straight off of the spool head.
Pull the spool out of the trimmer and remove any remaining old line on the spool.
Insert the end of the replacement string into the hole on the spool. The string should enter the hole to about ½ inch deep.
Wind the line around the spool, following the arrow on the spool to know which direction to wind. Wind in smooth, even lines until the line reaches the notches on the spool rim. Do not exceed the notches or the trimmer line will not function properly.
Repeat Step 5 if necessary for a double-string trimmer. Not all models use double strings.
Thread the line through the eyelet in the spool hub, pulling it through to pull the spool closer to the hub. Press the spool and rotate it counterclockwise until it drops back into place in the trimmer head.
Replace the cover. Activate the trimmer, and the line will automatically be cut to length and ready to use.
Tips and warnings
- Find replacement weed eater string at local Black and Decker retailers or Black and Decker online. Use only Black and Decker string line. Consult your owner's manual for specific diameter details.
- Using the wrong size of replacement string in your weed eater can cause damage to the machine.
- Hate your job? How to become a real-life (and successful) supervillain
- 16 Peruvian must try foods
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites