Since Halloween costumes are worn only once a year, they can be costly for teens to purchase. Teenagers can use a little creativity and make inexpensive costumes from items that are already in their homes. You can create costumes that are suitable for one person or an entire group. Consider dressing as an American Idol contestant, a punk rocker or a pirate.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Tag lettered with "American Idol" and contestant number
- Safety pin
- Large gold-coloured tickets
- Toy instruments and microphone
- Song sheets
- Cell phone
- Poster board
- Optional blanket
- Optional compact disc
- Colour hairspray
- Black ribbon
- Washable tattoos
- Black leather jacket
- Hair gel
- Black lipstick
- Ripped jeans
- Dark shirt
- Black ribbon
- Clip or pierced silver stud earrings
- Black dress
- Black construction paper
- Large styrofoam ring that fits on your head
- Hair clips
- Green make-up
- Plastic cauldron
Wear an outfit of your choice. Cut a square from white construction paper. Cut out a blue oval and write "American Idol " on it with blue ink. Write a number underneath it in black magic marker and pin it to your outfit.
Carry a toy instrument such as a guitar or keyboard or some song sheets. Put a microphone around your neck. Hold the song sheets and practice songs as part of your "trick or treat" routine.
Write "Hollywood " in black letters on the gold paper. Jump around while you hold the ticket. Take out your cell phone and pretend to call someone to say you won the ticket.
Wrap a blanket around you. Some American Idol contestants camp out before appearing in front of the judges.
Make a sign with the poster board and markers that flatters one of the current judges.
American Idol Contestants
Dress in ripped jeans and a plain dark T-shirt. Wear a leather jacket. Females can wear a chain necklace or a black ribbon choker around their necks.
Look at pictures of punk hairstyles. Females can tease their hair in a punk style and spray it with coloured spray. A male teenager can create a mohawk by dividing his hair in three sections by parting his hair on both sides. Gel the centre section and make it stand upright in spikes. Flatten the two side sections and spray the style with one or more colours.
Affix fake tattoos on your arms. Females can add some heavy chunky jewellery to their wrists. Both male and female teens can clip multiple silver stud earrings to their ears.
Paint nails black or plum. Females can apply black or plum lipstick shades to the lips.
Measure the diameter of the interior opening of the styrofoam ring. Create a cone with a large piece of black construction paper. Make sure the base is just wide enough to hug the interior of the styrofoam ring before stapling the cone together. Staple the cone to the interior sides of the ring.
Place the ring on a piece of newspaper. Spray paint the ring and paper black. Let the hat dry several hours.
Dress in black tights and a black dress. Use hair clips to secure the hat to your head. Hold a broom and use a cauldron for candy if you plant to trick or treat.
Apply pale green make-up to your face to give your face an unhealthy tinge. Coat your lips with black lipstick.
Tips and warnings
- Carry a compact disc of yourself singing.
- Don't worry if you can't sing. Practice singing as you wear your costume. Remember, some American Idol contestants can't sing, either.
- Role play while you wear this costume --- your actions and props make the costume believable since you can wear any outfit.
- When creating the punk rock costume, do not choose hair colours that will be difficult to view with your natural hair colour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for