Copper wire is round, flexible and highly conductive. Because of its numerous properties, copper wire is used in crafts, construction, gardening, electrical projects and coinage. With the right tools and techniques, flattening copper wire can be accomplished with a few easy steps.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Ball-peen hammer
- Steel bench block
- Copper wire
Unroll the portion of the copper wire you would like to flatten. Straighten the wire as much as possible by pulling it straight.
Lay the wire on a steel block bench. Take the ball-peen hammer and strike the copper wire with a firm blow and slide the hammer on the copper in the direction you want to flatten. Do not strike the copper wire too hard or you may damage your wire and your tools. Sliding the hammer along the wire is to provide a uniform flat shape to the copper wire.
Continue striking and sliding the hammer on the copper wire until the desired flatness is achieved.
Tips and warnings
- The thinner the wire the easier it will be for you to flatten it.
- Be careful with your flattened copper wire. It is sharp and can cause injury if it is not handled properly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for