Although no longer in production, business and retail establishments all over the world still use the Star Micronics TSP600 thermal point-of-sale receipt printer. Many online POS dealers still sell used or refurbished TSP600 units and even stock paper, rollers and other supplies for the printers. The printer comes with a drawer port, which enables you to open cash drawers automatically when using supported POS software. You install and configure the TSP600 as you would most inkjet or laser printers.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Parallel, Serial or USB cable
- Driver installation CD
Insert the installation CD for the Star Micronics TSP600 printer. Wait for the disk to initialise and display the installation wizard. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the driver for the TSP600 printer. Reboot the computer if prompted to do so.
Power off the computer and TSP600 printer.
Connect the appropriate cable to the TSP600 depending on the connection type: parallel, serial or USB. Connect the other end of the cable to the corresponding port on the computer.
Power on the TSP600 printer. Power on the PC and wait for the computer to boot into Windows. Follow prompts to log in to Windows, if necessary.
Wait for Windows 7 to detect the Star Micronics TSP600, if you connected a USB version of the printer. If you have a USB TSP600 printer, Windows 7 automatically detects and configures the device for use on your computer.
Install a parallel or serial TSP600 printer manually. Click the "Start" button and select "Devices and Printers."
Click the "Add a Printer" button at the top of the "Devices and Printers" window. Click the "Add a Local Printer" link in the "Add a Printer" pop-up window.
Click the radio button next to "Use an existing port" option. Select "LPT1: (Printer Port)" if you have a parallel TSP600 printer. Select the "COM1: (Serial Port)" if you have a serial TSP600 printer. Click the "Next" button.
Scroll down through the list of "Manufacturers" and highlight the "Star Micronics" entry. Click and highlight the "Star Micronics TSP600 Serial/Parallel Printer" on the left-hand side of the screen. Click the "Next" button.
Enter a descriptive name for the receipt printer. Click the "Next" button.
Click to place a check mark next to the "Set as the default printer" option. Click the "Finish" button. Wait while Windows 7 configures the driver for the new printer.
Tips and warnings
- You can install point-of-sale software to work with your TSP600 printer. Refer to the user guide or manual that accompanied your POS software to change software settings to use the TSP600 printer. Many POS applications require no additional settings if the printer is the default Windows printer. If the printer does not work at first, check the manual for specific details.
- Connect the cable for the cash drawer to the TSP600 if your POS software supports the automatic drawer-opening feature.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for