Make a beaded wire key ring to give as a gift or to keep for yourself. You can personalise your beaded key ring with any type of beads to create an original dangle. Jewellery wire and key rings for this project are available at any beading or craft store. You can also make small beaded key rings to use as cell phone dangles or zipper pulls.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Key ring
- Wire cutters
- Round-nosed pliers
- 18- or 22-gauge jewellery wire
- Bead board or piece of fabric
Choose the beads you'd like to use on your key ring dangle and lay your design out on a bead board or piece of fabric to prevent the beads from rolling off your work surface.
Cut a length of wire about 4 inches longer than your desired key chain. Online beading website Beadie Friends recommends 18- or 22-gauge wire for key ring dangles. 22-gauge wire is easier to work with, but 18-gauge is stronger.
Use round nosed pliers to make a loop at one end of the wire. This loop will be attached to your key ring so close it securely. Make a loop and wrap the wire around itself several times to ensure it won't come loose.
String your beads on the wire according to your design.
Make another loop to close off or end your design. You can also end with a spiral or create a free form design with round-nose pliers. Make the loop, spiral or free form design secure enough that your beads don't slide off.
Tuck the wire into the end beads of the key ring dangle. Trim any excess wire if necessary so there are no sharp edges exposed.
Place the beaded key dangle onto your key ring and enjoy.
Tips and warnings
- Your wire should slide easily through the beads. Higher-gauge wire is thinner and can be easier to string if you work with very small beads.
- When cutting and working with wire be careful not to poke yourself or others with the loose ends. Children should be supervised when working with jewellery wire.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for