Cold porcelain is used to make a wide assortment of decorations and trinkets, from bracelet charms to wedding cake flowers. It can be hand sculpted or pressed into moulds. Sculptures made out of cold porcelain do not require baking for them to set. Cold porcelain air-dries quickly. Once it is cured it can be lacquered or covered with a spray on gloss to give it the look of manufactured porcelain. Cold porcelain is also called cornflour modelling clay.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold cream
- 3/4 cup white school glue
- Heavy bottomed skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Oil paints
Combine all of the wet ingredients. Pour the mixture into the heavy bottomed skillet. Turn on your burner and set it at medium heat. Stir the mixture as it heats up. Once it becomes smooth, about two to three minutes, begin adding the cornstarch one tablespoon at a time while stirring constantly.
Continue stirring the mixture while it cooks. Remove pan from heat once the mixture turns into a ball. Take the ball out of the pan with a damp dishtowel.
Knead the mixture in the towel for a few minutes. Once the mixture is cool enough to touch remove it from the towel and knead it with your hands until it is thoroughly mixed. Place the cold porcelain in an airtight plastic zip bag until you are ready to use it.
To colour the cold porcelain, add a dab of oil paint to a small portion of the porcelain and knead it until the colour has completely spread evenly throughout it. After sculpting the cold porcelain set it in a safe place to air dry.
Tips and warnings
- When you go to sculpt the cold porcelain, rub cold cream on your hands to keep it from sticking to them.
- If the porcelain becomes too stiff when you are working it, add a small dab of cold cream to reconstitute it until it is soft again.
- If the porcelain is too sticky, try adding a teaspoon of cornstarch to it.
- Do not use a skillet that you normally use for cooking to avoid accidental food contamination.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for