A pair of red devil horns is an essential accessory that completes a devil outfit. The costume is an easy choice for parents who are short of time and want something dressy in a pinch. It is suitable for both boys and girls of any age and easily customised by adding red sequins or glitter. Ask your child to help with the horns during assembly to spend quality time together before the little devil is off trick-or-treating.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 red rubber gloves
- Cotton or fibre stuffing
- Sewing machine
- Red thread
- Red or sequins
- Bowl (optional)
- Red or black headband
- Hot-glue gun and sticks
Spread a pair of red rubber gloves on a table. Brush away any creases or folds with your hand. You need to cut the same finger off each glove, so mark the spot at the end of the selected finger with a marker after including 1/4-inch for seam allowance. Extend the spot to form a straight line. Make sure the fingers are equal in length from the tip to the marked line so the horns are identical in size.
Lift each glove and cut over the marked line carefully.
Stuff each finger with equal amounts of cotton or fibre stuffing to give it body. Sew over the edges of each finger with a sewing machine and matching thread to close the seam.
Decorate the horns for added impact. Depending on personal preference glue individual pieces of glitter over each finger horn, sew evenly spaced red or silver sequins or apply an even coat of glue over each and immerse it in a bowl of red glitter. Tap the horn to remove excess and leave to dry.
Lift the red or black plastic headband and determine the position for the horns. Ask the person wearing the costume to wear the headband so you can determine the correct spots for the horns, or wear the band yourself and stand in front of a mirror before marking.
Apply hot glue along the lower end of each horn and press it over the spot on the band until the glue dries.
Tips and warnings
- You can also cut two pieces of red felt for each horn according to the template provided in Reference 2. Line both pieces over one another, with the wrong sides facing out, and sew along two sides. Turn it right side out, stuff with fibre and sew the base before gluing to the band.
- String the horns to a cord and knot under the back of your hair as an alternative to wearing a band. Insert the pointed end of a dowel through the lower end of each horn to make two holes. Wind black cord around your head or the head of the child dressing up as the devil to determine the location of the horns. Insert the cord through one horn until directly over the marked spot. Knot the thread on both sides of the horn to keep it in place. Extend the cord through the other horn until over the spot and knot both sides to keep it in place.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for