Transforming a child into a bird for Halloween or any other event that requires a bird costume requires some thought. The shape of a bird is vastly different from that of a human. However, you can transform a child or adult into a bird with a hooded sweat shirt and some store-bought feathers. To make a dove, keep all of the feathers white. Face paint completes the look. This costume is inexpensive and takes less than two hours to complete.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- White hooded sweatshirt, two sizes too large
- White gloves
- White or orange trousers
- Orange felt
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- White feathers
- White face paint
- Black face paint
- Orange face paint
Glue feathers to the sweatshirt using the hot glue gun. Start from the bottom of the shirt and work your way up the hood and body of the shirt. Place each new layer of feathers just above the previous layer, overlapping the feathers by about 1/2 of an inch. Cover the sleeves last working from the cuffs up to the shoulders.
Cut two rectangles from orange felt large enough to cover the tops of the child's shoes. This will transform the shoes into bird feet. Glue the orange fabric over the shoes.
Have the child put on the trousers. An undershirt under the feather costume is also helpful in preventing pricks from feathers that poke through the sweatshirt.
Lower the sweatshirt over the child's head. Do not put on the hood yet.
Cover the child's face in white face paint. Give the child large black circles around his eyes to make the black eyes of a dove. Draw an orange triangle from the child's nose down to his top lip to make a beak. Pull the hood over the child's head.
Have the child put on the gloves. Give the child the transformed orange shoes to wear for the dove's feet.
Tips and warnings
- You can also cover the trousers with feathers if you want to make a fluffier costume. However, this can make the costume more uncomfortable for the child and may add excess bulk. If you use orange trousers, don't worry about using any extra feathers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for