A septum piercing, or a ring that goes through the middle portion of the nose that separates the nostrils, is sometimes referred to as a bull nose ring. Piercing the septum requires preparation and concentration. The complications of a septum piercing gone wrong range from mild infection to tissue death. As with many piercings, doing it yourself is a viable option, though consulting a trained professional is also a good idea and can present fewer complications.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 14- or 16-gage hollow ended needle
- 14- or 16-gage horseshoe nose ring
- Rubbing alcohol
- Surgical marker
- Antibacterial soap
Wash your hands thoroughly with antibacterial soap.
Clean the septum. Rubbing alcohol works well.
Find the right spot. Feel for the soft, thin spot just below the cartilage and above the beginning of the swell outside of the nose. Mark that spot with a surgical marker. Too low and you can tear the septum all the way through; too high and you will hit the cartilage, which can be extremely painful.
Pierce the septum. Take the hollow ended needle and put the tip against the marked spot. Push the needle through the nose, until it is about halfway through.
Unscrew the ball off one end of the horseshoe nose ring. Place that end inside the tip of the hollow ended needle.
Push the needle all the way through, bringing the ring with it. This will thread the ring through the new hole.
Reattach the ball to the nose ring.
Care for your new septum piercing. Soak the hole in a saline solution composed of four teaspoons Epsom salt in one gallon of boiled water two to three times a day.
Tips and warnings
- Don't touch the septum piercing without washing your hands until the piercing heals, which usually takes one to three months.
- Leave the ring in until the piercing heals completely.
- Piercing your septum can be tricky. Use extreme care, as complications include inhaling the nose ring, ripping the septum, infection, tissue death and scarring. If in doubt, have a professional do it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for