Writing a funny message in a birthday card can add a personal touch when wishing someone a happy birthday. Some of the best messages are those that come from the heart. The card style and message should always reflect the personality of the recipient and not all recipients may appreciate a funny message in a birthday card. However, personalising a funny message can help make an immediate connection beyond the standard birthday greeting. Overall, make sure whatever funny message is written in a birthday card ultimately shows your appreciation for the person and well wishes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Write a simple birthday message to the recipient. For example, “Happy birthday, to my favourite sister.” You may want to consider what the recipient has going on in her life, what type of person she is and how close you are to her before deciding whether to write a funny message. Make sure all of the personal messages written are handwritten instead of typed. Handwritten messages convey a more personalised message.
Use a previous experience, well-liked quote or favourite joke as the starting point for writing a funny message. A personal connection from the giver to the recipient can make the message more meaningful. For example, “Remember when you decided to play hair stylist when we were younger? Just think, without you, my dolls would still have hair.” Funny messages can range from a simple sentence to several paragraphs.
Close the message with a positive note and sign your name on the card. For example, “I hope your birthday this year is a cut above the rest.” You could also include a wish for the recipient for the upcoming year. For example, "Wishing you many more happy birthdays to come!" Make sure the message and the card are a way to make the recipient feel like one of a kind on her birthday.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure to write neatly and legibly.
- Make a birthday card that matches with the funny message.
- Age is a classic way to write a funny message in a birthday card. Milestone birthdays, 40 and 50, can include references to being “Over the Hill.” However, make sure to be sensitive to those who may not treat getting older as humorous.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for