Seagulls are not difficult to paint. Even an amateur painter can manage a simplified shape of the bird. Use your imagination to visualise the idea -- or use a photograph as inspiration. At later stages try different styles and techniques, but for the beginning a simple sketch will do. As the creator of best seller "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", writer Richard Bach said: "You're never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true."
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Flat brush
- Liner brush
Draw an ellipse to make seagull's body. Use a soft pencil.
Draw a second ellipse on one end of the bigger ellipse. That will be seagull's head.
Draw the beak on the smaller ellipse: first a straight line, then two square ones on both sides.
Draw the wings. Make two rectangles on both sides of the bigger ellipse. Use curved lines rather than straight ones to capture the wings' shapes better.
Draw upper parts of the wings. Add two triangles to left and right of the rectangles. Again, use curved lines. The rectangles should look like simplified sails.
Draw feathers as you find fit. Make simple curved lines in triangles and proper parts of the rectangles.
Add two lines for legs.
Draw details as your imagination dictates. Draw one or two eyes depending on the angle.
Paint the sketch: Mix colours: blue, red and white until they get a shady tone.
Use a flat brush to apply a shady tone to proper parts.
Paint the beak. Mix yellow and red and add some white until you get proper tone. Apply it with a flat brush.
Mix white and yellow to add some highlight and apply it with the flat brush around the bird's lower parts.
Use a liner brush to paint the legs.
Tips and warnings
- Use oil paints without a sketch. Use the same method; just make blurs instead of sketched shapes.
- Try different styles. Experiment with shapes and angles. Experiment with colours and techniques.
- Try markers for rough sketches.
- Try watercolours for blurry painting.
- Try ink for better outlines.
- Try painting the seagull on coloured paper instead of white.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for