A timing belt is an important component of your vehicle so replacing it in due time is a top priority. The primary use of a timing belt is to drive the engine's camshaft. The engine crankshaft uses a drive sprocket via a timing belt to connect to the larger camshaft so it is necessary to always check if the timing belt is worn out and needed to be replaced. This is one component of your Hyundai Sonata that needs to be replaced entirely when damaged and not just repaired by keeping it together.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vehicle's manual
Check the condition of your timing belt by removing the top dust or safety cover of your vehicle. You may need to unscrew a few bolts to gain access to the timing belt. Ensure that your engine is not running when performing this condition check.
Use a flashlight to inspect your timing belt for cracks, especially at the drive teeth base. Make sure you check it thoroughly for signs of wear and replace it as soon as possible.
Read your car repair manual thoroughly to understand and learn how to remove and replace the timing belt. If you are not confident replacing the timing belt yourself, take it to your auto mechanic shop without delay for immediate replacement.
Remove all obstructions from engine front and remove upper and lower timing belt covers to gain access. Then loosen or remove timing belt tensioner to release the timing belt.
Remove timing belt and clean all debris from area and utilise a timing belt diagram to time the connection between the crankshaft and the camshaft.
Replace timing belt with tensioner, as necessary. Re-install or reassemble timing belt only if you determine that it is still in good working condition and replacement is not necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Replace the timing belt as soon as you determine that it is worn out.
- Always purchase and install known brands of timing belts to ensure safe operation of your camshaft and for longer usage.
- Do not wait until you take it to your mechanic shop for its scheduled routine maintenance.
- Do not remove and replace timing belt if you are not familiar with how to perform this specific automotive repair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for