Static electricity is a phenomenon created when two surfaces make contact, such as shoes or socks on carpet. The charge remains "static" until it is grounded or discharged. Typically, this is accomplished by touching the statically charged object to a grounded surface, such as an appliance. Static electricity can build up in a HP notebook or any laptop computer as the chassis is rubbed against your lap. This build up of static electricity must be discharged to prevent damage to the computer.
Power down your HP notebook computer. Turn off the surge protector on the AC power cord extension but leave it connected to the notebook. A small amount of voltage will remain, but it is insufficient to cause damage to the HP's components.
Put static wristbands around both wrists and place the HP notebook on a static pad upside down.
Unplug the AC cord from the HP and then remove the battery. Place the battery on the static pad to discharge any resonant static, but do not allow it to touch the notebook chassis.
Turn the HP notebook over and depress the power button for 10 seconds to rid the chassis of static build-up. Replace the battery, leaving the notebook on the static pad. Reattach the power cord and remove the notebook from the static pad.
Things you need
- Static pad
- Static wristbands