Recycled crafts often tend to look cheap and contrived, but a recycled magazine bag can look stylish and unique. Choose magazines with pictures, colours or text to reflect your own interests and taste. This magazine bag makes a relatively large handbag but you can change the instructions to make a smaller bag, such as a purse, as well.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing fabric adhesive
- Grommet hole puncher
- Needle and thread
Cut out two magazine pages so that they are exactly 9.5 by 6 inches (front and back of the bag), two strips from a magazine page that are exactly 9.5 by 3 inches (sides of the bag), and a 6 by 3 inch rectangle (bottom of the bag).
Use the directions on the fabric adhesives to attach it to each of the magazines you cut out above. Leave about an extra inch of the adhesive on each side of each piece to allow for easy stitching.
Punch a hole in each side of the bag, about an inch from the top.
Place the two sections of a grommet around the hole on one side panel and tap the grommet with a hammer to fasten them to the panel. Repeat with the other side panel.
Place the front of the bag and a side of the bag next to each other and sew the edges of the adhesives together to connect the two panels. Repeat this process with the other side of the bag. Attach the back of the bag using the same process.
Place the small remaining rectangle where the bottom of the bag should be and carefully attach it to the rest of the bag, sewing it to one panel at a time.
String a ribbon through one grommet and then through the other one. Tie the two sides of the ribbon together.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with ribbons of different sizes. Some people like very short straps on their bags and others like longer ones.
- You can make your bag even more unique by creating a collage of various magazine clippings and cutting it into the dimensions provided.
- Do not make your stitches too large or small objects may fall out of the bottom of your bag.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for