Cell phones are programmed with special software that restricts their use to the network that issues the phone. This process is called locking. Nokia cell phones are among the easiest phones to unlock. Many online calculator programs generate an unlock code based on the phone's International Mobile Equipment Identification (IMEI) number. These calculators are designed to unlock a Nokia phone "gratis," which is Spanish for "free." These calculators support most models of Nokia and new models are added frequently.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Turn off the phone. Remove the battery cover and the battery if necessary to get to the SIM card. Pull the SIM card from the battery compartment. Insert the battery and turn the phone on.
Dial "*#06#" to display your phone's particular IMEI number. Each phone has a unique unlock code calculated using the IMEI. Write down the number.
Click "Start," "Internet Explorer." Navigate to a free online Nokia unlock calculator (see Resources for examples).
Enter the required information into the fields on the website. All of the calculators require the phone's IMEI, model, country of purchase and original service provider.
Enter "#PW+unlock code+1#" on the phone's keypad, replacing "unlock code" with the unlock code you received from the unlock site. This will unlock the Nokia for use with any cell network that uses GSM technology and SIM cards.
Tips and warnings
- Call your service provider and request the unlock code first. Many companies give out the information free of charge for clients that have completed their contracts. Canadian users on the Rogers or Fido networks must use "#PW+unlock code+7#" to unlock their phones, replacing "unlock code" with their actual codes.
- Entering the wrong unlock code too many times may permanently block your phone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for