New ceramic sinks really brighten up your kitchen or bathroom, giving the area a soft glow that looks perpetually clean. However, with time and use, the ceramic becomes dull, faded and even stained, leaving your room with a sense of neglect or grunginess. Restoring that ceramic to its initial shine and cleanliness can make all the difference in your room, but you must be cautious; certain cleaners will scratch or stain ceramic in a way that requires replacement.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Lemon juice
- Terry cloth
Remove any soap, bottles or other materials from in and around the sink. Rinse the sink in warm water and wipe it down with a soft rag to remove surface dirt and dust.
Mix liquid dishwashing soap onto your damp rag until it begins to form suds. Wipe down the entire sink with the soap. As you work, take note of any rough or bumpy areas you find in the sink; these are mineral deposits from water and will need to be removed to complete your restoration.
Rinse the sink again to remove residual soap. Stop up your sink and fill it with lukewarm water. Add 1 to 2 tsp of white vinegar and allow the sink to soak for 10 minutes. The vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits.
Drain the water and inspect the rough spots. If mineral deposits remain, soak a soft sponge in a solution of equal amounts of white vinegar and water or lemon juice and water and scrub at the spots until the deposits are removed. Rinse the sink in warm water to remove residual cleaner.
Buff your sink dry with a terry cloth, working in small, circular motions to remove water droplets. As you buff, the surface will regain some of its original shine. Continue until you sink is completely clean and shiny.
Tips and warnings
- If your sink features scratches or other damage, purchase a professional repair kit from hardware or home improvement retailers. Follow instructions carefully for repair.
- Never use abrasive cleaners, such as steel wool or harsh chemicals, on ceramic sinks. These cleaners will mar or stain the ceramic.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for