Resetting the chip on a Canon MP520 printer can make the difference between purchasing a new ink cartridge every time the cartridge runs out of ink and being able to refill your old cartridges. The smart chip on a cartridge requires a resetter that has the ability to manipulate the printer into thinking that the ink cartridge is new and reusable. According to the Print Country website, resetting the smart chip on your ink cartridge is a reasonable alternative to steep ink prices.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Canon ink refill kit
- Universal Canon chip resetter
Refill the cartridge with an ink refilling kit. Place the syringe onto the bottle of ink and press down. Take the cap from the syringe off.
Tape the outlet holes on the bottom of the cartridge, and then use the ink syringe to poke a hole through the top of the cartridge. Push the syringe down to inject the ink. Take the syringe out when you are done and tape the area where you refilled the cartridge. An empty cartridge usually needs 10 millilitres of ink.
Locate the smart chip above the outlet holes. Align the chip with the pins on the bottom of the resetter.
Hold the resetter and cartridge together. A light on the resetter will appear. Wait five to eight seconds or until the light goes off.
Wait one day for the ink to settle. Place the ink cartridge back inside the printer.
Tips and warnings
- You can purchase the refill kit at an electronics store, but you must purchase the Canon resetter online. You can find it on Amazon, eBay and other online marketplaces.
- The CLI8/PGI5 resetter works for multiple Canon ink cartridges, including the MP520.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for