When laying laminate flooring, spacers are placed around the outside of the floored area, forming a gap between the floor and the walls that will allow the laminate floor the necessary to expand in warm weather. Once the floor is laid, you need to know how to lay laminate floor trim in order to be able to remove the spacers and finish off the floor properly.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Laminate floor trim
- Trim adhesive
- Trim cutters
- Tape measure
Measure the length of the wall to be trimmed using the tape measure and measure out a corresponding length of trim. Alternatively, if the lengths of trim you have available are not long enough for the wall, measure out several lengths of trim which together add up to the length of the wall. If you need to cut any trim to length, use the trim cutter as this will keep the edges neat.
Coat the back of the trim with a small amount of trim adhesive. Do not apply adhesive to the bottom of the trim as the trim must be attached to the wall, not the floor; otherwise the trim will prevent the proper expansion of the floor in hot weather, causing buckling.
Press the trim against the wall. Wipe off any excess adhesive with a cloth to prevent it drying on the surface and looking a mess. Hold the trim in place for several hours, until the adhesive dries. You can use any heavy object to hold the trim in place, such as books, tins of paint or anything else you have to hand.
Tips and warnings
- To prevent adhesive coating anything you don't want it to get on, it is a good idea to cover your work surface with an old cloth or other disposable material, such as a newspaper. This will soak up any drips that may occur without damaging your valuables and keeps your work area clean.
- The trim must not be fixed to the laminate flooring or the floor below the laminate. The floor needs space to expand and contract, which is why it is not flush with the edges of the room. If the trim is fixed to the floor or the laminate, the floor may buckle in the heat, and the trim could be pulled away from the wall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for