The ASPCA recommends high quality food, exercise and access to fresh water for the care of your pet. Automatic water dishes are an easy way to provide an ample supply of clean water for your pet, especially when you are busy during the day. Constructing one out of a few household items would save you money and be Earth-friendly. A regular 2-liter soda bottle and a heavy bowl can be combined to form an automatic water dish for your pet's water needs.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2-liter soda bottle
- Hot glue gun
- Medium-sized bowl
Clean a used 2-liter plastic soda bottle. You will be repurposing this item into an automatic water dish for your pet.
Drill three evenly spaced 3/4 inch holes into the sides of a plastic cap of your soda bottle while it is on your bottle so the holes will go through the bottle too. This will allow the water to flow out into the water dish.
Remove the cap from the soda bottle and glue the cap to the centre of your pet's water dish or other heavy medium-sized bowl with your hot glue gun. Be sure the cap is upside down with the opening facing upward for you to screw the bottle onto it, and put glue all over the bottom of the cap. Wait 15 minutes for the glue to completely dry.
Fill the soda bottle with fresh water, and screw the cap, with bowl attached, to the bottle. You will need to turn the bowl upside down to do this. Turn the soda bottle with the bowl upside down so that the water fills the bowl. As you pet drinks the water, more water will automatically flow into the bowl.
Tips and warnings
- A stainless steel bowl is another good choice for this project.
- You can experiment with other large plastic or even glass bottles to make an automatic water dish.
- Keep your automatic water dish out of direct sunlight. The harsh sun rays can damage the plastic over time and heat the water causing bacteria growth.
- Use caution when working with a hot glue gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for