Overclocking your Radeon X1600 graphics card means that you will be accelerating default clock speeds recommended by the manufacturers for an additional performance boost. How far your Radeon X1600 can be pushed depends on your computer's cooling hardware, such as additional fans and heat sink devices. Overclocking a video card is a challenging process that requires many attempts before acquiring the optimum performance boost. The safest means of overclocking a Radeon X1600 is to use ATI Overdrive, a free program that is designed specifically for Radeon cards.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Right-click on a blank spot of your desktop and select "Catalyst Control Center" from the menu. Click on the "Graphics" button located on the top left of the Catalyst Control Center window and select "ATI Overdrive" from the drop-down menu.
Click on the "Padlock" icon to access the overclocking options in ATI Overdrive. Click on the "Enable ATI Overdrive" to confirm that you would like to customise the default clock frequencies.
Click the "Auto-Tune" button to overclock your Radeon X1600 Pro to the recommended overclock settings based on your computer. Note that many users find this feature to be very conservative; however, it's a great starting point if you're a beginner to overclocking.
Overclock your Radeon X1600 Pro even further by moving the "High Performance GPU Clock Setting" and "High Performance Memory Clock Setting" a little bit to the right at a time, to slowly increase the card's performance level. Click on the "Test Custom Clocks" button to check if you have overclocked your card too far or if you can continue to move the sliders a little more to the right. If the test results in failure, move the sliders back slightly and initiate the test again. Repeat this until you find the optimum performance boost for your computer while retaining stability.
Click on the "Enable Manual Fan Control" box to gain access to the fan control options. Although Radeon cards are excellent at adjusting fan speed automatically based on how hot they are running, increasing the fan speed might get you an added performance boost. This customisation option only affects the fan speed of the fan built into your Radeon X1600 Pro.
Tips and warnings
- If you can't find the proper overclocking balance and continually fail the test, click the "Default" button to return to factory settings.
- Overclocking can be a dangerous process that could cause permanent heat damage if you're not careful. You must be patient and take your time while overclocking. Even though most computer hardware is programmed to turn off in the face of too much heat to prevent damage, overclocking too much, too fast, could override this function and cause irreversible damage. If you don't feel comfortable overclocking, ask a professional or expert for assistance.
- Overclocking is a trial-and-error process. Don't give up if it takes several tries to get the optimal performance boost from your computer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for