When you're on vacation abroad and you're dying to catch up with your favourite British comedies, VLC media player has a network stream option built into its player. Enter the network address of the streaming British programming and VLC will buffer a live stream of the selected channel. A utility (see Resources) that uses Windows Command Prompt to automatically enter each stream in VLC makes setting channels faster than manually entering them.
- Skill level:
Download "btv.exe" (see Resources) and right-click the ZIP folder, then select the "Extract" option from the drop-down menu.
Double-click the "btv" folder and then double-click the "btv" executable file to launch the Command Prompt window.
Type the number of the British channel stream you wish to input in VLC and then press the "Enter" key. VLC Media Player auto-launches with the stream you selected.
Tips and warnings
- If VLC experiences lagging or slowdown try configuring your VLC connection settings.
- Not all streams function at 100 per cent optimal levels.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for