Just about everyone enjoys Halloween costumes for pairs, whether it be couples, friends or mothers and children. Mother hen and baby chick costumes are fun for children's first few Halloweens when parents take them trick-or-treating from house to house. Creating such costumes by hand is a relatively easy task with little in the way of expensive costume shopping so long as you have access to items such as feather boas, yellow rubber gloves and tights, and white baseball caps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Two white long-sleeved leotards
- One long-sleeved child-size red or orange T-shirt
- One child-size yellow sweatshirt
- Polyester fiberfill stuffing
- Needle and thread
- Two white baseball caps
- Orange felt
- Hot glue gun
- Four black buttons
- Two sets of googly eyes
- Ten inches of red feather boa
- Yellow tights
- Yellow rubber gloves
- 14 or more feet of white feather boa
- Safety pins
For the mother hen costume, take two white, long-sleeved adult-size leotards and place one inside the other, matching the arm and leg holes. Sew the legs together with a loose zigzag stitch.
Stuff polyester fiberfill stuffing in between each set of leotards. Sew the edges of the neck openings together.
Take two white baseball caps and measure how large the bill of each is. Cut out two beaks from orange felt, making sure both are a little bigger than the baseball-cap bills. Cut out four pieces of felt altogether, one for the top and bottom of each cap bill, sandwiching the cap bills.
Glue googly eyes on each cap front. Glue two black buttons on each cap bill to create nostrils. Cut two five-inch pieces from your red feather boa and glue the pieces on the top of each cap.
Stuff the fingers of each pair of yellow rubber gloves with fiberfill to create chicken feet. Place the gloves on the floor, palms down, and insert shoes in each glove, making sure the gloves cover the shoes entirely. Cut slits in the top of the gloves for shoelaces if necessary.
Cut off the arms of a child-size yellow sweatshirt. Fold in and hot-glue the arm edges.
Dress yourself and your child in yellow tights. Put on the stuffed white leotards. Dress your child in a long-sleeved red or orange T-shirt and layer it with the prepared yellow sweatshirt. Wrap white feather boas around the body, over the shoulders and under the arms until the leotards are completely covered in feathers. Secure with safety pins as you go, although hot-gluing the boas on is an option for the sweatshirt. Put the chicken-feet shoes on yourself and your child.
Tips and warnings
- Use black and red feather boas to create an exotic-looking chicken.
- Striped orange and yellow tights can also be used.
- Yellow rubber rain boots can also work as chicken feet should you not have access to yellow gloves or feel like your child will be more comfortable wearing boots.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for