If you want more room in the centre console of an Audi for audio equipment, you can remove the ashtray. Removing the ashtray and carrier is a job that can be done in about a half hour, providing you have the work space needed. You can remove the ashtray from an Audi yourself, saving you the time and money required to take the car to a mechanic or installer to get the work done.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
Locate the ashtray in the centre console of the Audi below the radio and slide the ashtray insert out of the console and set it aside. Remove the radio from the centre console, using the four keys to unlock the radio from the dashboard.
Slide the radio out and detach the electrical wiring plugs on the back of the radio by hand. Set the radio out of the way.
Remove the climate controls from the console, pushing the back of the housing in to detach the controls. Slide the climate controls forward, unplugging the electrical wires by hand. Set the controls aside.
Lift up on the back and front of the trim piece around the shifter knob gently until you feel it release from the clips. Set the trim out of the way. Remove the shifter boot by hand carefully and set it aside.
Locate the two 8mm screws at the base of the ashtray carrier. Unfasten the screws with a screwdriver and set the screws in a safe place.
Lift the ashtray carrier out of the centre console and remove it from the Audi.
Tips and warnings
- When removing the electrical wiring from the radio and climate controls, make note of how the wires are attached so you can reattach them later.
- Always verify that the Audi engine is turned off and the ignition switch is in the "Off" position before attempting to remove the ashtray.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for