Edible glitter is a decorating tool used to add sparkle to foods. It can be put on anything from cookies and cakes to cereal and popcorn. The glitter "flakes" are made in a variety of different colours and can be used to mix into frosting; create borders, designs and images; or stencil a name across a baked food item. Some edible glitter even comes in flavours such as butterscotch, strawberry and jalapeño.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cake or cookie
- Mixing bowl
- Edible glitter
Make or purchase frosting. The frosting does not have to be homemade, but you need enough frosting to fully decorate a cookie or cake.
Use a spoon to scoop the frosting from the container into a medium mixing bowl. Use a larger bowl if you are making more frosting.
Select glitter colour. Edible glitter comes in a variety of colours, including red, pink, purple, gold and silver.
Create glitter design on a piece of notebook paper. Start with something simple, such as a border or initial. Create more complicated designs as you gain experience.
Use a rubber spatula to frost the cookie or cake. Scoop frosting from the bowl and place it in the centre of the item. Spread the frosting across using the spatula, working the frosting from the centre out toward the edges. Continue frosting until the item is completely covered.
Open edible glitter container. Unscrew the lid slowly to prevent spilling.
Decorate the cookie or cake by following the design that was created earlier. Work slowly from the top of the design to the bottom, being careful not to sprinkle too much glitter in one spot.
Remove any excess glitter with a spatula or knife. Be careful not to damage the design or remove to much icing.
Tips and warnings
- For smooth icing, never remove the spatula when frosting a cookie or cake. Frost in one fluid motion. This will also keep crumbs out of the frosting.
- Mix the glitter into the frosting for an overall glitter look.
- If the frosting becomes too soft, it will be difficult to place on a cookie or cake. To harden the frosting, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for