The Cisco switch CLI (command line interface) contains an enormous list of commands. In most cases, configuring a Cisco switch involves configuring the same exact list of commands to a group of ports on the switch. Fortunately, the Cisco CLI also includes a command that enables administrators to configure a group of interfaces with the same settings in a single command.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cisco 2960 with telnet service enabled
- Telnet password to the Cisco 2960 switch
- Privileged Exec password for the Cisco 2960 switch
- List of interfaces that require the same configuration parameters
- Microsoft Windows XP computer connected to the same network as the Cisco 2960
Click the "Start" button, then click the "Run" box. Type "cmd" in the "Run" box and tap the "Enter" key. The command line window will appear.
Enter "telnet 22.214.171.124" at the command prompt, except replace the "126.96.36.199" with the IP address of the Cisco 2960 switch. Tap the "Enter" key and telnet will connect to the 2960 switch.
Enter the telnet password on the command prompt when requested, and then tap the "Enter" key. Type "enable" at the command prompt and then press the "Enter" key. Enter the "Privileged Exec" password when requested, and then tap the "Enter" key.
Type "int range fastethernet0/10-0/20" -- except replace "fastethernet0/10" with the first port in the range to be configured, and "0/20" with the number of the last port in the range to be configured. Tap the "Enter" key. The command prompt will display interface mode "config-if-range."
Type the configuration commands and parameters for VLAN, port-channel, gigabitehternet, and fastethernet type parameters. All ports in the range specified will receive identical configuration at the same time. For example, to define the speed of all interfaces within the range at 100 Mbps, type "speed 100" and then press the "Enter" key.
Type the "end" command and press the "Enter" key. Type the "exit" command and press the "Enter" key, once all configuration commands for the ports have been issued.
Tips and warnings
- All interfaces in the range must be of the same type, such as all "fastethernet" ports.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for