Rice pudding has a warm, comforting flavour and texture that appeals to all. Baking the pudding allows you to effortlessly prepare this treat without having to stand over a stove stirring a pot for an hour. Change the type of sweetener or omit it to create a low-sugar option. Use leftover steamed rice and put together the ingredients in a baking dish. Place the dish in the oven before dinner and you will have dessert ready to serve warm. Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator and serve the next morning for breakfast, either reheated or chilled, instead of oatmeal.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 10-by-6-by-2-inch baking dish
- Cooking spray
- 1-quart capacity saucepan
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 cups low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, honey or syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 2 cups cooked white rice (preferably short grain, i.e.. abborio)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Aluminium foil
Spray the inside of the baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 149 degrees Celsius.
Place the saucepan on the stove add the milk, vanilla bean, sweetener,salt, cinnamon (if using) and nutmeg (if using).
Turn the stove on low and heat the milk mixture until the sugar dissolves, stirring with a whisk the entire time. Watch the milk to prevent burning.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the eggs.
Place the cooked rice and raisins into the sprayed baking pan and stir in the raisins (if using).
Pour the heated milk over the rice and raisins in the baking pan.
Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees, uncovered.
Stir the pudding and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, covered with a sheet of aluminium foil until the pudding pulls away from the sides of the pan. Serve warm or chilled topped with additional nutmeg and cinnamon, if desired.
Tips and warnings
- Use 1 cup of uncooked white rice and increase the milk to 4 cups. Increase the baking time to 90 minutes or until the rice has cooked through.
- Make chocolate rice pudding by mixing in 2 tablespoons cocoa powder into the saucepan with the milk or stir 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in with the rice.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for