New mattresses that sit in the company warehouse for an extended period of time could develop a musty odour. Overtime, the musty odour will disperse but until that happens, the musty smell could make your mattress an unpleasant place to sleep. Fortunately, there are a few all-natural items that can successfully remove the musty odours from your new mattress without the use of harsh chemicals. These inexpensive items--vinegar and baking soda--are commonly found in homes and will both clean and deodorise the new mattress.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Baking soda
- Vacuum with upholstery attachment
Mix equal parts white vinegar and cool water into a spray bottle. Swish the bottle around in a circular motion to mix the water and vinegar.
Liberally saturate the mattress with the mixture. Allow the mixture to air dry on the mattress. This could take 24 hours. Point fans in the direction of the mattress to speed up the drying process.
Sprinkle baking soda on the mattress. Allow the baking soda to sit on the mattress for several hours. After the allotted time, remove the baking soda using your vacuum with an upholstery attachment.
Repeat the process as often as needed.
Tips and warnings
- If you have bedding on the new mattress, remove it before beginning the odour removal process.
- Place several dryer sheets between the mattress and the sheet to keep the mattress smelling fresh and clean.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for