Mold is a fungus that grows on nearly any surface as long as the conditions are dark and humid. Until recent years, the recommended treatment for mould was chlorine bleach mixed with water. However, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, chlorine bleach is only effective in killing the mould, not in removing the dead mould spores. Dead mould can cause health problems, including respiratory problems and allergic reactions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Ladder (optional)
- Stiff-bristled scrub brush
Put on your gloves and mask to protect your skin and lungs from mould exposure.
Pour undiluted vinegar into a spray bottle and spray the affected bricks with the vinegar. If necessary, use a ladder to reach high places on the walls. Allow the vinegar to sit on the bricks for several minutes.
Scrub the mould off the bricks using a stiff-bristled scrub brush. Get on a ladder to scrub the mould off bricks that are out of reach.
Rinse well with hot water. Spray the affected areas again with vinegar, but do not rinse. This will allow the vinegar to penetrate the bricks, killing any mould you may not be able to see.
Tips and warnings
- Treat mould quickly to reduce the chances of adverse health problems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for