Emoticons, otherwise known as animated smileys, are common in instant messaging, chat rooms and e-mails. Emoticons can be a simple way to display emotion in a message. In Microsoft Outlook, you can only insert a text-based smiley using the “Symbol” menu. However, if you want more animated graphics to enhance your e-mail messages, you will first need to download the images.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open a composed e-mail message in Microsoft Outlook.
Place your cursor where you want to insert an emoticon.
Click the “Insert” tab, then “Symbol” in the “Symbols” group. Click “More Symbols.”
Select the “Symbols” tab in the dialogue box. In the “Font” menu, select “Wingdings.”
Choose the happy face, disappointed face or sad face. Click “Insert” to place it in your e-mail message.
Click “Close” to close the “Symbols” dialogue box.
Tips and warnings
- If you’re not satisfied with plain-text smileys, you can download animated emoticons from Microsoft Office Online, then insert them as an image in your Outlook message.
- Another option is to download a collection of smileys from a third party that are compatible with Outlook.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for