An LCD computer monitor can be a low-cost, convenient alternative for watching digital television, instead of buying a television with a built-in tuner. New and used computer monitors usually can be found for a much lower price than televisions and provide comparable picture quality. You can connect your computer monitor to a digital set-top box provided by your cable or satellite provider. Though you sacrifice some functionality, the cost-savings can make this a worthwhile solution.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Satellite or cable set-top box with DVI or HDMI output
- HDCP-compliant LCD monitor with a digital input port and 720p or 1080p resolution
- HDMI-to-DVI cable, DVI cable or HDMI cable, as necessary
Determine the types of digital video ports that you have on your set-top box and LCD monitor. This defines what kind of cable you need to connect them.
Disconnect power from the set-top box and LCD monitor.
Connect the digital video cable to the set-top box. If the set-top box supports HDMI, use the HDMI output port and HDMI cable so that you receive the highest definition signal possible.
Connect the other end of the digital video cable to the LCD monitor. If the monitor has an HDMI input port, you can use a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable. If your monitor has only a DVI input port, use an HDMI-to-DVI cable.
Connect power to the set-top box and LCD monitor.
Connect the video input into the set-top box, either from your cable provider or satellite provider.
Tune the set-top box to a television channel of your choice. If no picture appears, you must adjust the resolution settings of your set-top box.
Enter the set-up mode of your set-top box and adjust the maximum resolution settings to the resolution of your LCD monitor.
Tips and warnings
- Don't forget that LCD monitors do not have speakers. You will need to connect RCA cables from the set-top box to an external sound system, either directly to speakers or through an audio receiver.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for