The Mazda CX-9, like all cars, will eventually require some routine maintenance. One of these routine jobs may be replacing the number plate cover. This is a job typically performed for the first time by someone who purchased the Mazda with the number plate cover attached and would now like to replace it with a more attractive cover, or simply replace a broken or old cover. With basic tools and a little time, this can easily be done by anyone.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Replacement number plate cover with attachment kit
- Utility knife
Remove the screws connecting the number plate to the Mazda CX-9 using the appropriate slotted or Phillips head screwdriver. Save the screws for future use and completely detach the number plate from the vehicle.
Remove the number plate cover from the number plate by snapping it off from its tabs or removing any connecting screws. In very rare instances, stuck or bent number plate covers will need to be broken off, which can easily be done by cutting the edges with a utility knife until the pieces can be snapped apart.
Attach the new number plate cover to the number plate using the included attachment kit. This kit may require a screwdriver to attach the cover to the number plate with screws, or the cover will merely clip on with plastic tabs.
Reattach the number plate with the cover to the front or back of the Mazda CX-9 with the original screws. If the screws are rusty or old, swap them out with new screws, which can be purchased at an auto shop or Mazda dealer. Generic short screws from the home or garage can often be used as well as the screw attachments do not require a precise size.
Tips and warnings
- An electric drill can also be used for this process to save time and effort, but be careful to drill slowly to avoid stripping any screws.
- Number plate covers and frames that identically match the factory paint job of your Mazda CX-9 can be purchased from the dealer or from the Mazda website. Frames and covers that do not match the vehicle can be painted with factory paint which can be purchased online.
- Avoid placing a number plate cover or frame over important information on your number plate, such as the registration sticker, which could result in a ticket.
- Never drive with your number plate removed or leave a vehicle parked on a city street with the number plate removed; this may prompt local authorities to have it towed due to improper identification.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for