Vertical lines appearing on your laptop computer's screen are not a nice sight to see and they can indicate an internal problem with the computer. This can be a simpler issue if you are lucky. You can try a few things to get rid of the lines, but it all depends on what the source is. A problem with the screen itself might be corrected with some home repair, but there's a good chance you'll need to take it in for repairs.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Anti-static armband
- VGA or DVI cable
Wait for the computer to warm up if it has been in very cold temperatures and has just recently been taken into room temperature. The cold air can be one of the simpler causes of the lines that can be easily corrected.
Press the laptop's menu button and click on the "Degauss" option if one is available. This may correct the problem in some cases, although the monitor normally degausses itself when you turn on the computer.
Turn the computer off and remove the computer's main panel and keybard to access the motherboard and screen cable. This varies depending on the model, so follow all instructions included in the laptop's manual as to how to do this.
Disconnect and then reconnect the data cable for the laptop screen. Check and confirm that the cable's connector is properly seated.
Assemble the computer in reverse order of disassembly and turn it back on. If the vertical lines persist, the problem is likely with the motherboard or video card and needs repair from licensed professionals.
Tips and warnings
- You can test the monitor by connecting the laptop to an external monitor through a VGA or DVI cable (the cable needed depends on which ports the laptop and monitor have). If the lines appear on both monitors, the problem lies with one of the aforementioned internal components
- Discharge all static electricity from your body and the immediate vicinity of the computer before you disassemble it. Wear an aniti-static strap on your wrist while disassembling it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for