There are a myriad reasons to use uTorrent to download and share files. Regardless of the legal issues currently surrounding file sharing, many organisations have begun relying on torrents as a way to quickly and cheaply distribute files. However, because torrents currently carry such a legal stigma, many people are apprehensive about downloading torrents. In fact, some companies and universities have begun banning users who download even legal torrent files. Because of this, many torrent users have begun utilising methods to connect to torrent trackers anonymously.
- Skill level:
Find a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that allows torrent traffic. There are many options and most do charge small service fees. Some options include Relakks, Torrent Freedom, and BTGuard. A VPN allows users to connect to their network and then route all of their Internet traffic, including torrents, through the VPN back to their personal computer. Many VPNs exist in countries that do not require logging of user traffic which helps to make your activities more anonymous.
Sign up for a VPN. After doing so, you should receive some simple set-up instructions as well as a username and password for connecting to their network.
Open the "Network and Sharing Center" from the "Control Panel."
Click "Set up a new network connection or network."
Select "Use my Internet Connection (VPN)."
Type in the Internet address and name of the VPN. The address should be provided by the VPN upon signup.
Click "Connect now."
Enter the user name, password, and, if one is provided, the domain name provided by your VPN. You may wish to select "Save this user name and password" to avoid having to re-enter them in the future.
Click "Connect" and your computer should connect to the VPN.
Tips and warnings
- After your initial set-up, you can connect to or disconnect from the VPN by clicking the network icon in the bottom right hand corner of your taskbar in Windows and selecting the VPN from the network list.
- Being connected to a VPN will most likely slow down your Internet connection. The difference may be significant in some cases. Use the VPN only when you really want to insure privacy.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for