Anytime you purchase a new laptop, the battery is rarely fully charged. To ensure that your laptop battery holds a charge for a long time, it's a good idea to break it in. This is a simple process that anyone can do--however, most people don't because they are impatient to play with their new toy.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Unbox your new laptop and plug it in. While it is plugged in, try to avoid using it so that it can get the best and fullest charge possible. Leave your laptop plugged in for five to seven hours.
Remove your laptop from the AC power adaptor. Drain the battery completely until you force it to shut itself down. The battery should be dead to the point that even pushing the power button will not turn it back on. Don't forget to save any work you may have been doing before your computer shuts down.
Place your computer back on the charger. Completely recharge the battery again to full capacity. Try to leave it alone if possible. If you can leave your computer to charge without using it, it will charge faster.
Drain the battery completely. This is called calibrating your battery. Plug it back into the AC power unit.
Repeat this process one more time. Once you have drained and recharged your battery one more time, it is ready to take anywhere you like.
Tips and warnings
- It is recommended that you do one full drain and charge every three months to maintain calibration of your battery.
- Turn the screen light down as far as you can and still see, this will make your battery last longer.
- Turn off any hardware and programs that you are not using. If you do not need them on, then turn them off.
- Turn your power setting down to portable/ laptop or power saver to keep your battery running longer.
- Add more RAM so that there is a minimum of hard drive access.
- Having your computer automatically run updates means that there are things continuously running when you don't need them to be.
- Running CDs and DVDs while your battery is not on the charger will drain faster.
- Don't play games on your computer when the battery is off the charger, it has to work harder to run all the graphics and other necessary programs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for